Board index General Board General Board apparently inexplicably banned

apparently inexplicably banned

Chat about anything here.

Moderator: galactus

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:30 am
galactus User avatar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

One of the first forums I registered for when I first began math forums was SOSmath.com

No, this is not our beloved SOS404, it is an actual site that has been around quite a while.

I hadn't frequented it in a while, but at one time I used to answer problems and ask as well.

Well, a few days ago I decided to get involved on the site again, so I posted that contour problem we were discussing to see if anyone there had an idea.

I went this morning to check for any replies and I noticed my last post made yesterday was gone.

I clicked on my username and it said I had entered an invalid username.

It would appear that I have been erased from the system/banned. Why, I do not know.

I sure didn't use abusive or foul language or anything like that. I had just asked a question about contours which I was going to link and share with everyone here in the event anything viable was posted. All that was mentioned was perhaps use \(\displaystyle e^{iaz^{2}}\), which I already had considered.

Maybe they became irate because they could not answer it either. I don't know.

There are some flighty admins on the site, so maybe for some inexplicable reason they banned me because they were in a bad mood. I remember this happened once to me several years ago on mathhelpforum.com because I had posted the solution to a problem before a bipolar admin had the chance to post his solution. MarkFL and others came to my defense (which I appreciated) and restored my account. Unfortunately, all previous posts had been erased.

This really has nothing to do with anything, but I just wanted to relay what just happened.

There are some strange folks on these forums. Anti-social behavior sometimes accompanies enhanced math abilities.

Of course, there was no message indicating why this took place.

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:25 pm
Shobhit Site Admin
Site Admin

It's really horrible that they banned you without any reason... Did you post any link to Integrals and Series? Some forum admins do not like their members to post links to other sites. It may be a possible reason to why they banned you. In any case, if you were banned then they should have told you the reason for that.

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:43 pm

That is a sad state of affairs to have your account removed with no explanation given. I feel that when a moderator/administrator takes an action, even to delete an offensive post, a word of explanation to the OP goes a long way towards diplomacy and responsible moderating.

I remember well when your account was deleted at MMF...I simply could not believe that this person, whom I shall not name, would have the audacity to delete your account because you beat him to posting help in a topic. When I saw that your account had been deleted and why, I sat there in stunned silence, gradually feeling the anger rising up. I chewed him a new one by PM, even though I was relatively new as a moderator there at that time. A short time later, I saw where he was cursing someone, and shortly thereafter, he was relieved of his duties.

In my first experiences with online forums, in the performance car world, I saw rogue moderators that would edit people's posts to make them appear to be foolish during disagreements with these moderators. I began saving the pages so that I could point this out too. A good moderator, or team of moderators is essential to any site, but bad moderators can certainly ruin a site as well. Overall, the moderators and members of math forums are way better behaved than those on the typical performance car forum.

Anyway, I am very sorry to hear that you have been treated this way, and for no good reason, and without begin given any reason. This is no way for a responsible moderator or admin to behave. If and when I ever have take drastic measures against someone (other than a blatant spammer), if I have any doubts whatsoever about what should be done, I always confer with others to ensure the best and most appropriate action is taken.
Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:13 pm
zaidalyafey Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Oh , that is horrible ! Does that mean all your previous work is gone !
Wanna learn what we discuss , see Book

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:14 pm
galactus User avatar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yeah, apparently so z.

I got no warning or communication whatsoever.

I did not post that problem anywhere except for what little we discussed here about it.

I just thought maybe some fresh eyes may have an idea as to a clever approach. I guess not :roll:

It's a nice site and may be one of the earliest math forums available. I had joined around 10 years ago.

Hey Mark. Yeah, thanks for having my back...back then :)

That was strange indeed.

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:59 pm
Global Moderator

I suggest you create an account and contact a moderator there ''Someone who is not a suspect of deleting your account''!

I am not signed there , otherwise I would not really keep my mouth shut :x !

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:25 pm
Random Variable Integration Guru
Integration Guru

Who tried to ban you on the old MHF?

I once got temporarily banned on Physics Forums for providing full solutions to questions. And a really long time ago I got banned on AnandTech for posting pictures of Victoria's Secret models posing topless with animals. :o :lol:

Post Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:09 am
Global Moderator

I contacted the admin of the site , and tell what was the answer :lol:

The user asked me to delete his account and his posts....

Post Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:49 am
galactus User avatar
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

They must have gotten me mixed up with someone else. I sure didn't do that.

I PMed Shadow and asked about my deleted account.

I see you signed up. I noticed your name under the complex analysis section. I clicked on the thread and there was nothing there.

I don't know what is going on.

Post Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:49 am
Global Moderator

galactus wrote:
They must have gotten me mixed up with someone else. I sure didn't do that.

I PMed Shadow and asked about my deleted account.

I see you signed up. I noticed your name under the complex analysis section. I clicked on the thread and there was nothing there.

I don't know what is going on.

Even if you asked for it , that should not happen . Only spammers must be deleted because deleting accounts results in demolishing all the posts and threads you participated in . I commented on the analysis topic wondering about the question and my post was deleted without explanation!

Next

Return to General Board